Saturday, July 16, 2016

3D Encounters

Recently I've been made to consider how I view the people and countries I visit.  The media continually makes fun of our generalized stereotypes. But I found my traveling reinforcing them.
I walked into the local library fiction section. The shelves were labeled 'Romance', 'Western', 'Mystery',  'Christian Romance'(???) and... nothing else. I wanted to ask where the other fiction books were, the best sellers, but then realized that I would sound like a snob. Just as you can't judge a book by its cover, you can't judge a community by the books in their library.
It is easy to get a flat two dimensional picture of the US from our individual small screens, large billboards, fast food chains and 24 hour news shows.  It is lacking real depth of what it truly means to be an American.  The people I meet give me another necessary dimension.

The two young boys fishing by the lake are eager to show me the bullhead they caught on their first cast.  A bachelor farmer works to create a flower garden that will only be visited by the birds and bees.  Another farmer "retires" from dairy farming just to get into the beef cattle business.  It is better hours although he still cannot take a day off or afford to hire help.
A mother tells me over our fourth of July picnic of how she has finally pulled her son from hockey after four concussions and numerous trips to the emergency room.  Her son missed months of school and now needs a tutor.
There are four vegetarians at the picnic and this leads to interesting discussion into the eating habits of Americans and healthier products on the market. The kids go out fishing hoping to catch dinner.
A mother at the gym tells me about her son's recent trip to compete in London with a car his school built.  The car won third in the world after a performance of 530 m/gal.  Her son has been involved with the car building since 7th grade. The gym is part of the local small town school which is undergoing a building project this summer of new classrooms. A teacher there is concerned she won't get into her new classroom in time for the new year, but proud of the fact that this school is expanding while others are closing their doors due to a dwindling rural community.
At a community church lunch a recent graduate of the school tells me she is going on to work on her masters while volunteering locally.  She would like to find a job nearby and stay close to family and friends. She is attending a bachelorette party for her friend, who has just completed her masters and was fortunate to be able to find a job in a nearby town.
I sit next to a man who tells me how his son, after serving in Iraq, has been battling PTSD for 10 years while saving lives as an EMT at home.
My son's friends and cousins are enjoying the summer.  I ask them who they are voting for in the next election and they tell me they aren't voting.  They have little interest in politics.  They have jobs or college places lined up and their future looks good, no matter who the president is.  I realize that the next US president may matter more to me, a frequent visitor to this country, than it does to these young people.  They still believe everything is possible and no politician will change that for them.


I won't judge them, but enjoy their optimism.


No comments:

Post a Comment