Saturday, August 6, 2016

Celebrating Rio

Watching the opening ceremony of the Rio Olympics last night brought back so many memories of the city where I was born and where my children spent their first years of life.  During the 5 hour show there was plenty of time to share thoughts and memories with others who were also watching.  We'd reach out with "Do you remember?" and respond with, "Yes, I'll never forget."
After the delegation of the Marshall Islands walked in, the online posts showed an ex-student and colleague of ours proudly representing the small island community,  "Did you see?" and "Yes, I wouldn't miss this!"

I confess that I am approaching these Olympic games with mixed feelings.  I am eager to see Rio again, but am fully aware of the challenges the city faces in hosting these games.  I lived in Barra, taught in the school in Gavea, sailed down the coast to Ilha Grande and experienced the joys of trying to get from place to place in a city that is as geographically impossible as it is beautiful.  If any had asked my opinion of holding the games there, I would respond that it is impossible.  But this is what is being attempted, and without the support a stable government or financial security.
The traffic and water quality are undesirable.  One New Year's Eve we attempted to sail our boat from Botafogo around Sugar Loaf and see the fireworks off Copacabana Beach.  We got stuck in traffic and barely got out of the marina before midnight.  Later we moved our boat down the coast in search of cleaner water.  The boat was a constant worry, with kids and engine problems, but it was a huge part of our memories of that time.
So I watch the opening ceremony with anticipation. Will they pull it off, or will it be embarrassingly poor in comparison to past performances? After it was all over I found myself looking for articles that told me what the media thought of the show.  This is like reading a review for a movie or book after enjoying it yourself. We want to know if we are on the same page.  The articles agreed with my opinion of the ceremony, and I could satisfactorily accept that Rio's directors had got their point across;  despite everything, the games will go on and they will move us.  The most memorable moments of the games will be those that were achieved despite difficulty and against great odds.
Living in Rio was not easy.  Just getting to work every day on time was a challenge.  We were not so much bothered by crime, but by the amount of time it took to get anything done.  The city has little flat areas, making buildings hang on cliffs, and roads go through small tunnels.  We lived within site of the beach, but couldn't get there without sitting in traffic, and during the summer there is absolutely no parking available.
Yet we were outside all the time, at the beach, pool or in the forest.  The children were probably not the best age for sailing, but most of our pictures of them at that time were on or around the boat.  Looking back now, I realize that our
lifestyle would not have been possible without good childcare and good friends.
The friends we made in Rio are now all over the world, making the lives of others easier and brighter.  We move from place to place and take some of the sparkle of Rio with us.
I waited for the lighting of the Olympic flame, in anticipation.  I had heard that Pele had canceled his appearance only days before and there was a lot of talk of how this part of the ceremony would compare to others.  At first I was disappointed in the size of the small ball of flame being raised into the air.  And then a beautifully intricate chandelier unfolded and twirled, reflecting light around the stadium.  I was moved to tears by its unexpected beauty and I felt it was a fitting end to the show, leaving us with the memory of light being scattered in all directions and forever burning bright.  Well done, Rio!

No comments:

Post a Comment