Sunday, November 26, 2017

I Wonder as I Wander

It is easy to see how I identify with the story of the magi at Christmas.  I have spent Christmas on five different continents, and in the middle of an ocean. The wise men traveled afar following a star. There is more I'd like to know about these men. What were they hoping to find? What motivated them to make this journey?  Did they hope to be led towards peace in their troubled lives?

We hear more talk of "joy" and "love" at Christmas these days. And we get busy trying to recreate those moments of joy in our own ways. I know my parents certainly worked hard to bring Christmas cheer when we were growing up in Brasilia. First there was the business of finding a bush that could be clipped and wired with branches to look like a tree. Then my long suffering father would spend days inspecting each bulb in the old string of lights in order to get them working. The preparations for the feast started well in advance with the making of the fruit cake and mincemeat being shipped over from England.  There was plenty more food to make on the day, along with holding a father-son soccer match and planning the silly party games I looked forward to all year.
After leaving home I did not immediately try to recreate Christmas and took the opportunity to travel during the holidays instead. My first attempt at making Christmas was in Sofia when Jake was one. That year the US Embassy flew in trees from who-knows-where, and we found a cheap string of lights that melted after being plugged in. Everyone else we knew had traveled leaving us to celebrate alone. Jon ended up going rock climbing Christmas Day, while I took Jake downtown on the tram to a newly opened McDonalds.
My attempts at making Christmas in Rio fell equally flat, as I found cooking and baking in the heat of summer without air-conditioning a real chore. We ended up in the pool trying to cool off.
I hit my stride when celebrating on Kwajalein. It wasn't without effort. No one works harder at celebrating Christmas than the Marshallese.  They have created their own traditions with original music, dances and parades.
 The island has made the season their own with wacky activities to get everyone in the mood. Santa is flown in by plane, then swims up to the beach in scuba gear with lighted tree. Palm trees are lit and sailboats make the parade of lights. Packages are ordered months in advance and everyone shares when the local grocery store is out of butter and sugar. With a lot of help I was able to make Christmas memorable for my family, although I was miles away from other family and friends.
So next chance I got, I got all of us flights to London to spend a traditional English Christmas with grandma, cousins and brothers. Everything was perfect, with the roast turkey dinner, pulling crackers and opening presents round the tree.  However, just days before, I had found out that my passport would not be renewed and my traveling days might soon be over. I was painfully aware that there are problems ahead that I cannot control or fix. There are times when things look bleak, however we dress them up with Christmas cheer and warm feelings.
Like the magi, I am looking for peace that will last past the holiday season, blot out desperation and the general stress of living. I look for hope that the future months and years will bring love and joy where there is despair.
Last Christmas I traveled to Sri Lanka in an attempt to skip the normal Christmas festivities and look further afield. I did not find any answers or everlasting peace, just a different perspective on the holidays.
However you get ready for the holiday, may it make you happy and hopeful.
(Below are blogs from my last two Christmases)

Blog: Living Ruins and a Dead Body

Blog: Skipping Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment