Thursday, November 26, 2020

Expat Thanksgiving

 

The Turkey Trot has been run, and the club house is being readied for an a Thanksgiving feast put on by the AISA faculty.  This is a unique event, mainly because we all live on the closed campus of the American International school in Abuja, Nigeria.  Although we met just a few months ago, we are accustomed to collaborating on events just like this via WhatsApp.  This post, of the turkey being put in to roast, began the today's feed at 9:13 am.  

Roasting a turkey this size that only arrived frozen yesterday is no mean feat.  Most of us are new to Nigeria and lack roasting pans with racks, and basic familiar ingredients like celery or cream of mushroom soup.  In fact the preparations began days ago, with various shopping trips around the city looking for yams.

I was fortunate enough to find some old cans of creamed corn from Thailand.  The rims are rusty but their sell-by date is March of next year. I put out an all-call for a cheese grater and had another member of staff offer to lend me hers within minutes.  I feel like I have been to so many stores, looking for this and that, but still my kitchen cupboards are almost bare. 
 I am attempting to make scalloped corn and green bean casserole for our feast.  Mohammed had green beans for sale from his veggie truck making sales in the parking lot. Making french fried onions as a topper is beyond me, but I am adding some local ham-bits I ordered from a local butcher. I considered buying a whole turkey from Michael, the butcher, but I am still getting used to what various cuts of meat look like here, and was afraid of what "whole turkey' actually meant.  Would it arrive with feathers and head still attached?
At 9:49 am, our HS principal posts a picture of how an Australian prepares a Thanksgiving turkey: "Terry's breast have been throughly massaged and he's now going in the oven."  This prompted the question, "He's got a name?" and the reply, "We've become very attached."
An I've become quite attached to the staff here.  We Zoom together, work together, live together, and now celebrate together. I am thankful for this group that started bonding over the long wait for visas and travel plans to Abuja. We bonded across time zones, nationalities and age groups. There is little to compare to the faculty of an international school.  They hit the ground running, look out for each other, and pool their resources.  Daily I have advice and words of experience shared with me.  The fact that I am a veteran teacher with over 20 years of teaching and living overseas doesn't mean I know where to buy sunscreen in Abuja.  I have great respect for those among us that are making this move with small children.  I had little support when mine were young, but I have a feeling that won't be their experience here. Here we have family.  We may not be able to get together the way families back home do, because of the measures put in place to prevent the spread of COVID, but we manage to support each other digitally.
It is nearly time to Google the Celsius equivalent for 375 ° F, put my faux green bean casserole in the oven and head down for cocktail hour at the club house.  We plan to eat outside and share each other's recipes from home.


No comments:

Post a Comment