Sunday, September 18, 2022

The Cost of Living in Paradise

 

I live on the Kwajalein atoll, which is part of the Marshall Islands.  When I was first offered a position here, I had to find it on the map. It is characteristic of many islands in the Pacific with white sand beaches, palm trees, and coral reefs beneath the crystal clear waters.  It is also very remote, with little to no tourism.  I have to do without the luxury of a high-end resort, but usually have the beach all to myself. 

So what is it like living here day in and day out? Well, I am never out of sight of the water, I snorkel with manta rays, and follow dolphins in a boat. Every day the sky is blue, and the palm tree sway in the breeze. 

The beauty of this place is unparalleled.  And naturally it isn't available to everyone. The Marshallese allows the US Army to lease some islands, and only those with military clearance can live here.  So I must be in an enviable and privileged position, or am I failing to mention the costs that come with living in paradise?  
The first cost is the need to punch in everyday to a job that is probably not within ones ideal profession. Many of the jobs here are necessary, but not professional.
The job descriptions are vague. You might end up working in the postoffice or HR. But we put in the hours and enjoy our days off. The pay isn't bad, and we save so much.  However, no one is really padding their resume, or getting necessary experience for the next step up the ladder. If you stay here too long, you find it hard to be competitive in the job market back home. 
Another cost is the remoteness of the island, in the middle of the Pacific ocean with only one flight off a week. It would be near impossible to make an emergency flight to visit my mother in London. Even with 3 weeks off for Christmas holiday, I am finding it difficult to find a flight that will take me back to
Minnesota and family. Being here, I miss weddings, graduations and family get togethers. For those with close family in the US, the cost of being here is high.
The final cost I am aware of this time out, is that of money itself. Part of the lure for those who were finding it hard to make ends meet, is that of a good salary, all expenses paid, and great benefits. The position becomes all about the money you can make, save, and perhaps send home. That makes us less likely to spend out for boat rentals, golf memberships and other activities. If I spend all my hard earned cash on enjoying paradise, it becomes an expensive holiday. There is still plenty I can do for free, like snorkel the reef, meet up with friends at the beach, and play tennis.  But if at some point, I find I am paying too much to live in paradise, I will have to leave.  
On the same vein, if I find I am giving up too much being away from family, then it is time to go home. Or if my lack of upward mobility and freedom within my job becomes too stifling.... it may be time to retire.



No comments:

Post a Comment