Friday, May 27, 2016

A Letter to Bulgaria

I recently met up with a Bulgarian friend in the bakery.  She knew I would be leaving soon and wanted to say goodbye.  Then she added, "I hope you find nicer people in the next place you go."  I did not know how to react because the assumption was that the people here in Bulgaria were not nice to me.  Nothing could be further from the truth and I have decided to write an honest letter to the country of Bulgaria about the short time I have lived here.  I am a foreigner and I cannot speak for all visitors to this country, neither can I assume that my views and judgments are widely held by the general public here.  I just want Bulgaria to know how I feel about my experience.


Dear Bulgaria,
I am in love with your natural beauty.  Even in winter the snowy mountains and frozen waterfalls in the forests make me stand in awe.  The spring brings such color with fields of poppies, lavender and the roses that grow everywhere.  The fruit trees ripen and fall is not any less colorful.  The vineyards and sunflower fields meet me as I leave the city.  I have little experience of your summer, but know well the street cafes where I can sit and enjoy being in the city.


I may sound like a tour guide, but I do feel like a tourist in this country.  There is so much to see, to taste, and experience.  I have become a photographer, a traveler and an explorer  who has been given the privilege of living in Sofia.  I appreciate the time spent here, and I have become very aware of how I spend my time.  Without a schedule, I am able to plan my day in the most satisfying way.  Sofia is not designed for rushing people.  It is easier to walk in the city than to drive.  The absence of large supermarkets allows me to look for fresh products at the corner markets.  The sidewalk cafes make me wander through them on the way out and back home.  I have learned to cook here by taking time and using local ingredients. I have been able to travel to different countries simply because they are close by.  I can grab my passport, jump in the car and go to... Venice! And I can afford to do all of this without working night and day like a mad man.   I will always treasure this time to reflect and write.

I want to thank you for your honest and transparent approach to life.  I am not distracted by the frills or outward trappings of daily living. Bulgarians are honest about their country's shortcomings but will come to my aid as you would an elderly aunt who just can't hack it on her own. The taxi driver will sometimes simply refuse to take me somewhere because it is honestly not worth his while.  I never worry about being overcharged and if I am lost... well I'm not that far from home.  The police do not ask for a bribe, but simply point out my transgressions with a warning.  They have bigger fish to fry.  And they speak English in a way that puts my language learning to shame.

My pizza delivery service pretty well sums this up.  The pizza always arrives on time, with the order correct.  The young delivery person very probably has an engineering degree, speaks perfect English and seems delighted if I let him keep the change.  He is simply doing his job, not trying to practice his English or get a good tip.  And I understand that, like me, he will probably have to leave this beautiful honest country in order to find a better job.  It is not greed, or blind ambition, it is just life.
And now, as I leave you, I wish you the very best in the future.  I know you will never end up living above your means, or forget your roots.  I hope that more and more tourists will take time to visit, stay a while, and be refreshed by this simple and beautiful country.


1 comment: