Friday, October 16, 2020

Armchair Travel: Playful and Edgy!

 


The ability to go new places without leaving my comfy chair has not only become easier with new technology, it has become convenient for this time of pandemic.  It is not uncommon for me to do research on a place before I travel there.  However, for this coming move to Nigeria, I was able to do so much better than download a "to bring" list before beginning to pack.  It all started back in early summer with emails from my new coworkers. Some tidbits: " I have long been itching to meet with you." and "Until August, and hoping that COVID-19 relaxes its muscles soon, take good care of yourself. Stay strong and safe!"  And a later communication, "I hope this email finds you enjoying a good cup of tea or coffee," as a follow up to several Zoomed staff meetings and WhatsApp conversations. 

The staff have become a close knit group.  We commiserate with each other's visa trials, and celebrate final travel plans.  There is a continual sharing of information via our phone app: packing tips, grocery lists, travel requirements, etc. I have little need to look something up, because we are all in this together, and sharing is the name of the game.  And this is as close as it gets because, when we finally arrive we will be in quarantine, social distancing and busy working.

Due to COVID, our initial tour of the campus was made virtual by way of a video created by the school.  We received both a bird's eye view of the housing, and an inside look of the school.  Later our principal offered to give us a personal tour of our apartment via Google Meet.  If we had any questions left as to what to bring, this answered them.  We talked voltage, outlets, storage, appliances, and measurements.  This really contrasted with other moves where we have begged for this sort of information knowing that there is so much needed to make a household function.

Another contrast was the ability to connect with and hire some household help prior to arrival.  I offered employment and received a polite acceptance, "OK Ma, thank you!" via text message. This lady will be doing my grocery shopping for me during quarantine.  I was asked to make a list for her to shop for.  Knowing that every country has its own unique products (lessons learned from trying to shop for Thanksgiving dinner in either Sofia or Kuwait!), I decided to visit a local supermarket online and check availability of everyday items like wine.  I found the website difficult to navigate, and searching for items like bread was impossible.  I also got distracted by the descriptions of the items, which often omitted the size/weight, and included glaring mistakes such calling white wine red.  I thought I would close this blog with one such description which ensured me that my move to Africa will certainly be colorful, if not playful and edgy!

DECLAN WHITE WINE Declan white wine is incredibly juicy, very fruity, full bodied rich taste. Declan white wine is easy drinking, ripe berry and jam. Declan wine is soft and smooth. Greatly enjoyed when chilled. This new wine has a perfect balance of sweetness. Declan white wine pairs well with lively foods and friends. Declan white wine combines its sophisticated taste perfectly with the playful fruity taste. If your all about the perfect combination of playful and edgy. Declan white wine is ideal for all celebration, dining and events.





No comments:

Post a Comment