Sunday, July 17, 2022

Welcome Back?...Maybe Later

Jon and I are returning to teach on Kwajalein, where we lived with our boys from 2006 to 2014.  And someone asked me "What does it feel like to be back?" And I responded: "Difficult to say, since it is so strange going into quarantine right away without yet having contact with people or the island. It's not like carrying on when we left off...."
We haven't yet had a chance to get outside and see, but I am imagining not much has changed in 8 years. This is a tiny island in the world's largest atoll. The whole island is a military base, home to mainly civilian contractors and radars. This is like no other base, due to its size and remoteness. There are no cars and most items have to be ordered and come through the mail.  It is a slower lifestyle, for sure, with less distractions. But I fear our experience here this time will be different, because we are different. 
Many will say you can never go back... But for Jon and I it didn't seem like we were turning back. We had both applied for new jobs, mine was one I have been working towards for the last three years, and it was definitely a better package allowing for bigger savings. Someone called it our 'last hurrah' before retirement. Our sons are excited for us, and are hoping to visit before long, remembering all the unique activities they took part in growing up on the island. 
I understand nothing is as good as we remember it! Already I have lost the dream job I was coming here for; the new contractor decided only to hire us on separate contracts, which means we don't get housing; COVID regulations are forcing us to quarantine 10 days in a moldy old house with no comforts; and we found out our things won't be shipped out to us any time soon. 
So I take a deep breath and remember the first week on island in 2006.  Our family of five were met at the airport by couple of teachers. They loaded us up into a golf cart and showed us around the island. Our three bedroom house had been prepared for us with food in the refrigerator and a welcome kit of kitchen and household items. It turned out we didn't need them, as our shipment had arrived before us. We had lunch at the snack bar, and dinner of freshly caught fish on the beach. The boys were off making friends from day one. The same teachers took us out by boat for a day trip to Bigej, a neighboring uninhabited island. We snorkeled in the crystal clear waters and collected shells along the beach. Dolphins accompanied us back as far as the marina, where we found nurse sharks and turtles waiting.  What a welcome! 
I believe I can work my way back to the place I was in during our first stay, but it will take time. Waiting to get out of quarantine.... waiting for our shipment... waiting to find out how things work around here now.. all will take patience.  Already, I received legal delivery of a bottle of wine and muffins from a friend, and a not so legal gift of a corkscrew.  And there will come a time when I have a better pillow, and am not dependent on others to buy me coffee. I will be able to make my own welcome, and maybe survive to welcome others in their turn.
Photos from our first tour



 

No comments:

Post a Comment