Monday, March 14, 2016

Big Field or Thick Forest

Our trip to Dourados included a bus ride from Campo Grande where we had landed the day before.  It suddenly occurred to me that we could have flown straight to Dourados, taking about two days off our travel time.  When I asked my mother why we didn't fly direct, she came up with several unconvincing reasons: a) it would cost much more (I sincerely doubt this); b) the flight would cause her to miss out on miles (again...highly doubtful); and c) her friends in Campo Grande might feel hurt if she didn't stop there (much more likely to be the real reason). My mother is very comfortable stopping in Campo Grande and looked forward to spending time with Felix and his family.

For me, approaching Dourados by bus gave me a chance to become reintroduced to the area and relive memories of what it was like to live in this part of Brazil.  Just to the north lies the Pantanal, a large area of wetland and home to some unique wild life.  Because of all the recent rain, we drove past flooded fields and shallow pools.  The rich farm land was looking more like the Pantanal.
I had already been lucky enough to see the macaws when leaving the city. Then I caught sight of a black and white toucan beside the road with its beautiful orange beak.  My mother told me to look out for ema, the rhea.  Sure enough, we passed a group of seven of the ostrich like birds feeding in the fields. My father had taught me to bird watch in this very part of the world.  He would take me out on walks, point out the birds, describe them and name them for me. He took me to the Pantanal twice where he watched the birds and I looked out for alligators.
Most of this land is cattle country.  The farms are vast, with fields dotted with white cattle and termite mounds.  Although the name of the state is Mato Grosso, meaning 'thick forest', most of the forest has been cleared.  As we approach Dourados and the reservation land, there is still some of the old forest, standing tall.  The road becomes a rutted track, and I realize how much I would miss if we flew in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment