Sunday, March 27, 2016

Behind Locked Doors


Part of Bible translation is the creation and distribution of various texts that give a people the chance to read their own language. The Kaiwa Mission have graciously supplied a garage where boxes of Bibles and reading primers are kept.  I was given the task of retrieving several hymn books from this storage.

As I was fumbling with the rusted padlock, I heard sounds coming from inside.  I warily opened the door wondering what might jump out at me.  As I hovered at the entrance,I began to be bitten by ants.  Their nest is just under the door and each opening dusturbs them.
After running out, kicking off my shoes, and killing ants, I tried again to enter the garage.  All seemed quiet and I hoped that any wildlife within had found a way out.  I started poking around for the box marked "Japorahei Joa", the Kaiwa title for their hymn book.  I kept hearing rustling sounds and whirled around ready to
do battle with the intruder.  I checked the boxes marked "Genesis"and "Psalms".  Then just as I looked up a cat jumped out of "Minor Prophets".  Apparently the boxes, when they are half empty, make good nesting places for having kittens. Well, at least they won't have to worry about rats in here.

I locked up and having forgotten about the ants, got bitten again.  For a simple book storage facility, the place was just brimming with life.  I appreciate anew the lives that went into the making of these books and the lives that will be touched by them.  My Easter was the finding of life and hope in the most unexpected place, behind closed doors.
John 20:19-20

No comments:

Post a Comment