Tuesday, April 26, 2016

"You should be paying me!"

We climbed the rocky stairway up to our fifth monastery that day.  After paying 3 euros we explored the grounds and gazed out at the spectacular view.  Money well spent.  We saw the carefully stored bones of dead monks, their gory deaths depicted on the chapel's painted ceiling, and we felt like we were on top of the world.
An elderly gentleman had just completed his climb up the rock and was balking at the admission price.  "You should be paying me!" was his reaction.  And, no doubt, he was thinking he should have stayed down at the 'taverna' with the rest of his party.  Or he should have taken the package holiday to the luxury resort.
Exploring the monasteries was turning out to be more work that he had expected.  There are different things each of us is looking for when we travel.  I like the sense of adventure, the thought of discovering something new and different.  That means I will go off the beaten path and let curiosity lead me.  Each of the six monasteries just had to be explored and every view point visited.  Rain or shine, summer or winter, the views can continually make me look for that fresh sight, wild flower or color of leaf.  I tend to stay in budget hotels that can be cancelled or booked at the last minute, and I would rather drive myself around.  I feel like I am charting my own path.
I am aware that many travelers, like our gentleman at the monastery, are paying for the experience and therefore expect to be entertained and catered to. They give themselves a break, letting others guide them around and show them the sights.
Both my teenage sons would agree with this view.  Sam, who is 18, would rather not leave our house if the alternative is anything less than a 5 star hotel with an entertaining group from his social circle.
One solution is to leave Sam at home and get a dog to travel with us instead. So we kept our eye out for a suitable Sam dog.
We met several sheep dogs on the road across northern Greece.  Most are working closely with the shepherd and never far from their sheep.  But we spotted a young pup who seemed more interested in sitting in the shade by the side of the road or nosing through the trash.  We knew we had found our Sam dog, but we left the shepherd to deal with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment