This may not be news to you, but I have become bombarded by the amateur photographers. I cannot go to the beach without coming across newlyweds in the middle of a photo shoot. The camera or phone is set up with a tripod, there are costume changes and absolutely no concern for what anyone else thinks of them taking over a very public place. The rental cars drive up and unload fashionably dressed passengers to pose in a field of flowers strategically planted in front of a rocky mountain. When I wandered in, not at all prepared to be photographed, I was charged ₩2000 to use the flower field. That field bloomed and then was plowed over in less than 2 weeks... it was only there for tourists as part of their fall package to Jeju. A friend told me of another garden with pink muhly grass that provides a cotton candy backdrop for, yes, you guessed it, photographs. The garden also advertises other shows throughout the year: tangerines in October, camellias in winter, canola and plum trees in spring, then hydrangea in summer. That is a lot of opportunities to pose and whichever season of the year you visit Jeju in, there is a beautiful backdrop. So the buses roll up and people wait in line for their turn to pose. An added bonus are the props, 'I ♡Jeju' signs and sweet framed arbors that direct you where to pose. These photo ops are too precious to waste on a simple selfie, and there are many that will offer to help you take your photo properly. Of course, the flowers are not the only possible backdrops on Jeju. The island is full of beautiful coastal viewpoints, mountains and lava formations. Our recent road trip took us round the island where we stopped along the way to admire the beaches, crashing waves, volcanic oreums and craters. At each stop we were joined by other tourists wearing their best clothes and immediately posing for the camera. What surprised me was not that the picture was the purpose of their trip; we all fall into that trap knowing that photos with people get more likes; but that Jeju has totally owned the fact. Flowering plants are grown right in front of the mountain to enhance the shot. Platforms are built to provide a safe place to pose over the crashing waves; steps and walkways lead out to the best view point; and spots are marked with a 📷 or with a X to stand on. They are making it easy for you to take that perfect shot.
However, as I puffed and panted to climb up to a lighthouse I questioned my motivation. Was I doing this just to get the picture at the top? And so I had a few realizations:
- the view from the spot was exhilarating and could not be captured in a photo. Reaching the top, catching my breath and feeling the wind threaten to blow me off the cliff was exciting, but a shot of what lay beneath me would not hold any of the depth, dimension or emotion.
- natural beauty does not make people naturally curious. Following the sign and the crowds led to some unique buildings erected that, at first sight, seemed to enhance the travel experience but turned out to be follies. One was a Gingerbread House that was once used in a K-drama film and now is abandoned; the other is a theme park inspired by the Austrian Hundertwasser. Most of the tourists walked by these oddities and focused on taking pictures of Seongsan mountain.
- we gain little from travel if our aim is to simply post online for likes. One woman sat with a book open, apparently reading, on a wall above a beautiful white beach. I watched as she filmed herself reading in that idyllic spot. Another group of bikers posed for a drone on the same beach. I do not doubt that their posts were eye catching and produced influential images. However, I do doubt that they were aware that they were on a rare beach made of red algae nodules. These carbonate structures make this a protected place and a national monument.





No comments:
Post a Comment